Questo sito usa cookie per fornirti un'esperienza migliore. Proseguendo la navigazione accetti l'utilizzo dei cookie da parte nostra OK




From May 5th, 2017 the Visa Section of the Embassy of Italy in Tokyo introduces an electronic appointment system for visa applicants. To book online, please click ON LINE RESERVATION website in our website. With the new service, applicants without prior reservation cannot be admitted - except in case of real and proven emergency. If you would simply like to collect your visa, you do NOT need an appointment.

Schengen Visa for Italy

Schengen visa “ Type C” allows travel for leisure of business purposes throughout the "Schengen Area" on a single visa. The following countries, including Italy, make up the Schengen territory: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

To find out if you need a Schengen visa or not Click here

NO VISA IS NECESSARY if you are a Japanese passport holder and will be traveling to Italy for tourism, business meetings and study for up to 90 days.




Every foreign national that is legally resident in Japan.

(applicants residing outside Japan or holders of a Japanese tourist visa must apply in their home country.) Visa applications can be submitted in person by the applicant minimum eight weeks before departure date by appointment only from ON LINE RESERVATION website.



How can I determine to which Schengen Member State I should apply for a visa?

o If the travel destination is one Member State, the Consulate for that specific Member State is responsible for the application.

o If the travel itinerary includes more than one Member State, the application is the responsibility of the Consulate of the main destination. The main destination is understood to be the destination where the applicant intends to spend the longest period time or where the main purpose of the intended travel is conducted.

If you intend to stay for more than 90 days for studying, working or long term legitimate purposes (religious activities, medical cares, professional sport events..) a NATIONAL VISA “Type D” is needed

If you do need a visa, and you live in the following prefectures in Japan: Hokkaido, Aomori, Akita, Iwate, Yamagata, Miyagi, Fukushima, Ibaraki, Tochigi, Gunma, Saitama, Chiba, Tokyo, Kanagawa, Shizuoka, Yamanashi, Nagano, Niigata; you can apply in person at the Embassy of Italy in Tokyo for all types of visas.



Warning: online appointment booking system first time users must register in advance.

An active email address will be required during the registration procedure in order to obtain registration confirmation details with the logon credentials. For subsequent accesses to the system you will simply enter your username and password defined the first time during registration.

Be advised that if you live in the following prefecture:

Toyama, Ishikawa, Fukui, Gifu, Aichi, Mie, Shiga, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Wakayama, Hyogo, Tottori, Okayama, Hiroshima, Shimane, Yamaguchi, Kagawa, Tokushima, Kochi, Ehime, Fukuoka, Saga, Nagasaki, Kumamoto, Oita, Miyazaki, Kagoshima, Okinawa;

your inquires follows under the jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Italy in Osaka.

No postal or proxy application are accepted.



- Processing time is between 10 to 21 working days (depending on the nationality of the applicant) the maximum average processing times, by law, are as follow:90-120 days.

When the visa is ready, applicants may retrieve their passports at the visa office of the Embassy during normal business hours between 9:30 – 11:30. The Passport may be collected by a third person holding proper authorization to do so. Rush fees are not applicable. Applications presented earlier than 90 days from the departure date will not be accepted. It is the applicant's responsibility to take the necessary precautions to respect the deadline.

· From November 20, 2015, biometric data (i.e. fingerprints) must be collected for all those applying for a  Schengen "C" visa.

· The attendance of all applicants is therefore mandatory.

The Embassy visa office will evaluate the documents submitted and may request additional ones at its discretion. Furthermore, you should also be aware that submitting the required documentation does not automatically guarantee the issuance of a visa.Visa office hours: Monday to Friday: from 09:30 am to 11:30 am. Ask in advance for closing days due to Italian/Japanese national holidays and make sure to make an appointment.


In case of minors, both parents must submit the visa application on their behalf (personal appearance of minors is requested by the visa office for identification purposes).

  • If Minor will be travelling alone an authorization (parents act of consent) to travel abroad signed by both parents is requested. In addition for parents peace of mind and as requirement by some airlines company, the travelling minor might be asked to bring and authorization bearing their signatures. Such authorization must be authenticated by a Notary Public office if the parents are in Japan, or by an Italian Embassy or Italian Consulate if the parents are outside Japan.
  • birth certificate issued outside of Japan must be drafted or translated into English or Japanese and certified either by the Embassy/ Notary Office /Consulate of the country that issued the certificate or translated into Italian and certified by the Italian Consulate in the country of issue
  • If minor will take part in a school or filed trip or a nonprofessional sport event, and is accompanied by a third person ( a teacher, a tutor or a sport coach) applicant must submit a declaration of responsibility undersigned by the designated accompanying individual and as a proof of identity is mandatory to submit a copy of his/her identification document. In addition we require a complete list of all the people that will travel together with the minor.


Click the link above to download the checklist for your visa application


1) Fully completed application form (Application form type C)

2) Valid passport, not older than 10 years (older passport will not be accepted) valid at least 3 months beyond the departure date of your trip and with at least two blank adjacent pages.
3) valid Japanese Residence Permit be valid for at least three months beyond the returning date of your trip

4) 1 x colour, white background, recent passport-size photo (not older than 6 months)

5)A detailed trip schedule (port of entry, location/places to be visited)

6) fully booked/confirmed flight ticket(s) with flight number and arrival/departure time/date

7) fully booked/confirmed hotel reservation bearing the name of the applicant OR original invitation letter from your host in Italy (invitation letter for tourism). The invitation letter must be addressed to the Italian Embassy , dated and duly signed together with a photocopy of the host ID/passport. If the host in Italy is a non-EU citizen, a copy of the host’s Residence Permit in Italy is required

7.1)Overnight trains or buses within Italy or across Schengen borders must be properly reserved

8)Certificate of your professional status, recent (not older than one month) original certificate of employment or enrollment from your employer or University/College, If you are an housewife or unemployed, a letter of guarantee duly signed, by your guarantor addressed to the Italian Embassy. Guarantee letter must be accompanied by guarantor’s valid id document, official seal register certificate (inkan shomei) and family register (juminhyo )

9) Evidence of your financial means, applicant’s or guarantor’s last six month bank statements (you should have at least 7000 Yen for each day of intended stay in Italy or in the Schengen countries, having fully paid return flight tickets and hotel bookings) e.g. if you apply to stay 30 days in Italy, you need to show a balance of at least 200,000 Yen in your latest bank statement

10) travel insurance issued by a Japanese or Italian insurance company covering the intended period of stay for at least 30,000 EURO of coverage for medical and hospitalization fees. We reserve the right to refuse credit card insurance plans that do not meet minimum Schengen requirements for insurance coverage .

People below 18 years old should be considered as minor, in such case both parents has to come in person bringing the applicant’s birth certificate and signing the visa request on behalf of the minor.

Please note that additional documentation can always be required



1) Same as point 1-5 for tourist visa

2) original letter from current employer - self-employed, letter by the company director or accountant, duly signed, dated and addressed to the Italian Embassy. The letter must include all the information about the applicant as well as his/her position in the Company and the purpose of the trip to Italy

3) Invitation letter from the Italian company (invitation letter for business), duly signed and accompanied by a copy of identification document of the undersigned person, dated and addressed to the Italian Embassy. The letter must include the following information: purpose of the trip, dates of travel, who is responsible for the expenses, travel health insurance (if any) and accommodation in Italy (if provided)

4) fully booked return flight tickets (unless indicated on the Company letter/Invitation letter)

Please note that additional documentation can always be required



1) Thoroughly filled in application form (Application Form Type D)

2) valid passport (valid at least 3 months beyond the departure date of your trip and with at least two blank adjacent pages)

3) (for foreigners living in Japan) valid Japanese Residence Permit

3.1) (for Japanese national) Residence certificate issued by applicant’s local ward

4) 1 x colour, white background, recent passport-size photo (not older than 6 months)

5) original acceptance letter or certificate of enrollment from the school or university in Italy, addressed to this Embassy, with all the details of the study program (type of course, mode of study, dates of attendance, etc.) + receipt for tuition fees.

5.1) All university and conservatory enrollment procedure must be processed through the Italian Institute of Culture (IIC).

5.2)In case of private schools, an official acknowledgement from the local state government or a registration at the chamber of commerce is required.

5.3)In case of exchange program, a copy of the agreement of exchange program between both universities

5.3.1) original presentation letter from the university in Japan addressed to this Embassy + one copy

5.4) In case of professional training or formative programs, schools have to be officially designated/accredited by local or regional government

6) Health Insurance to cover your entire period of study in Italy is required.

(Only If the insurance cover is not specified in the acceptance letter from the Italian university,) Insurance must be issued by a Japanese company or a special insurance policy for student with INA ASSITALIA (available in Italy only)

7) proof of financial means to cover the cost of the intended stay (last six months bank statements)

8) proof of accommodation in Italy.

Please note that additional documentation can always be required


Military personnel relocated to Italy

Military personnel do not need any visa to enter in Italy, however accompanyingfamily member/dependent that will stay with their parents during the mission, must come to our office to apply for the visa.

Applicant must provide us:

1) Memorandum or Note Verbale from the USA Embassy in Italy or any official documents issued by US Government or Military agency that briefly explains the purpose/nature of the relocation to Italy (e.g. Mission..) of the main applicant and his/her dependents including the expected date of arrival and estimated length of stay and who the accompanying members are and their relationships (Spouse, Daughter, Son) In addition we need a copy of relocation orders as well.

2) Also each applicant has to bring the current US base ID card and his/her passport (with at least 365 plus 90 days or more from the first day of entrance in Italy) to let us grant an yearly Mission Visa. To complete the application prepare one passport size picture taken in the last three months and fill in with a black ink pen all the relevant fields.

The application form for mission visa can be downloaded from the following link:

3) In addition we need a marriage certificate for accompanying spouse and a birth certificate for accompanyingkids that travels with parents or, for single fathers or mothers, any proof of being appointed as the minor legal guardian . We always request both parents signature for every minor who will apply for the visa. Under no circumstances we will accept a minor age application that lacks one or both parent(s) authority or legal guardian(s) sign and consensus.

There is no parking space in the Embassy premises, and the nearby coin parking are very few. The visa might be free of charge, but remember that we will collect your passport, visa delivery times might vary from ten days up to two weeks and once issued you can come and collect the visa in person or, if you live in a distant place, it can be posted by registered mail only.


Visa for EU Relatives

Documents for husband/wife, children or relatives of Italian or EU National:

1) application form;

2) valid passport with at least 2 blank adjacent pages. Passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the returning date of the trip;

3) Japanese Residence Permit;

4) 1 colour, recent passport size photo;

5) valid passport of the EU national, plus one photocopy;

6) marriage certificate(for husband/wife) OR full birth certificate for children or relatives, plus one photocopy. If they are issued outside the Japan, they must be translated into English/ Japanese and certified either by Consulate or the Embassy of the issuing country in Japan;

7) spouses of Italian nationals will need to be registered at the AIRE office of the Embassy of Italy in Tokyo by the Italian national; marriage certificate must also be registered at the Embassy of Italy in Tokyo;

8) fully booked return flight ticket proving that traveling together with the EU citizen.


Moving pets

Please refer to the following sites:



Holding a valid visa does not automatically give the right of entry to Schengen area

Please, be aware that holding a short-stay visa does not automatically entitle to enter Schengen area. Once arrived at Schengen border control, or during other controls, travellers may be asked to provide information on means of support, on how long they intend to stay in the Schengen State, and why they are visiting the Schengen State.

It is therefore recommended to carry with you copies of the documents presented when you applied for the visa (e.g. letters of invitation, travel confirmations, other documents stating the purpose of stay). For more information, please read art. 5 of Schengen borders code (link).

What happens if visa is refused

Negative decisions on applications are notified to the applicant. In the refusal letter reasons on which refusal decision was taken are clearly stated. Visa applicants whose applications are refused can decide to apply again or to appeal. Appeals must be brought against refusal decisions directly at the T.A.R. of the Latium Region, through a lawyer acting on applicant behalf, within 60 days of the serving of the decision itself. The appeal will have to be notified, under penalty of nullity (as per art. 144 of C.P.C. and art. 11 of R.D. no. 1611 of 1933 Commodore64 1541), to the relevant "Avvocatura dello Stato".

For family reunion visas only, appeals must be addressed to the ordinary court (“Tribunale ordinario”) of the place of residence of the family member living in Italy.

How to read a Schengen visa sticker and correctly use your Schengen visa

“Duration of stay … days” indicates the number of days you may stay in the Schengen area. The days should be counted from the date you enter the Schengen area (the entry stamp) to the date you exit the Schengen area (the exit stamp), i.e. both days included. The period of time between “From … until” might be longer than the number of days printed in the “Duration of stay”. The difference in period is meant to give you flexibility to plan your entry into and exit from the Schengen area, but your stay in the Schengen area must never exceed the exact number of days in the “Duration of stay … days” filed. No matter how many days you have stayed in the Schengen area, you must leave no later than the date printed in the “Until” field. The length of tourist visa cannot cover more than your actual trip to the Schengen area. Please refrain from asking long term tourist visa even if you are planning going to Italy for leisure many times during the year.

Schengen visas entitle to one or two or multiple entries. People who often need to go to Schengen area for business purposes can apply for multi-entry visas up to 1 year. In case you are a multi-entry visa holder, please remember that for intended stays on the territory of the Member States duration of stay cannot be more than 90 days in any 180-day period, which entails considering the 180-day period preceding each day of stay.

D type visa (National Visa (VN) ) are visas for a stay in Italy longer than 90 days. Holders of type D visas are permitted to circulate freely in Schengen countries other than the issuing one for a period of not more than 90 days per 180-day period only if the visa is valid, or if they hold a valid residence permit. To learn more about the rules governing visas, as well as about other visa types, click here.

How to correctly use your Italian national visa

All Italian National Visa holders, once arrived in Italy must convert their visa into a residence permit (“permesso di soggiorno”) applying within 8 days from first entry in Italy. Applications must be submitted to relevant police authorities (“Questura”) of the Province of intended residence. Residence permit duration will be the same as indicated in the visa. Residence permits can be renovated or extended directly in Italy. To know the relevant police authority according to your destination, please check the following website.

Further information

For any further information, please read the website of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the website of the European Commission.

Rights and duties of foreign nationals for short-stay in the Schengen Area

Rights and duties of foreign nationals for long-term entries and stays in Italy

The information outlined above may be subject to change without prior notice.

No liability can be accepted for the consequences of such changes.